Have an account? Login
- Service Provider
- To stay up to date with news about the IAU programme and activities in the Community Platform offer you the following features
In connection with the use of the Services and Service Content or User’s Content, the User is not authorized to, or cannot allow a third party to:
- Innovation for African Universities - Community of Practice (CoP) Overview
The IAU programme is based on a new model, including a learning and collaboration platform, or community of practice, which brings together Universities in the UK and Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) to engage, interact and learn from one another with the aim of developing mutually beneficial partnerships that strengthen the capacity and capability of Higher Education systems in both locations. Over a period of 15 months a total of 20 Network Partnerships (NPs), comprising at least 60 partner organisations (including Universities, enterprise support organisations and other key ecosystem players) will collaborate with the aim of exchanging best practice that supports increased functionality of universities.
- What is Centre of Excellence (CoE) and its role in Community of Practice
The Centre of Excellence (CoE) comprises and is managed by City, University of London, ChangeSchool and the University of Nairobi in Kenya. The CoE will be responsible for facilitating international knowledge-sharing within the community of practice, providing capacity building and mentoring support to all community members and partner organisations.
The ‘excellence’ it contains comes from the combined knowledge and skills of everyone in the community of practice.
- Purpose of IAU CoP
The community of practice has been set up to enable sharing of resources, collaboration and learning in order to meet the goals of this community
- Goals of IAU-Community of Practice
- To support the thinking and actions of HEIs and ecosystem players so that more businesses are created and students are more employable
- To build relationships between different HEIs in the UK and SSA so that more projects and deeper relationships will result, supporting higher education internationalisation and showcasing the strengths, expertise and contribution of SSA HEIs, leading to more genuine, symbiotic relationships.
- To show improvement in development project outcomes so that further funding can be sourced for the programme to continue, and the IAU programme model can be applied elsewhere.
- Benefits to members and participating institutions and organisations
Community of Practice provides a strong platform for engagement, networking and the development of international higher education partnerships.
The programme provides additional visibility for the selected institutions and positions them for future collaboration opportunities and supports the strengthening of cross continental collaborations.
Contribute to entrepreneurship and innovation in Africa
Participating in this programme provides an opportunity to champion entrepreneurship and innovation within higher education and support its development across SSA.
Partner Organisations will be able to position their respective brands as leaders within international and African higher education and develop relationships with critical stakeholders at both policy and practice level within the education sector across SSA and the UK
Data and Insights
Access to market data, insights and information through partnerships developed through the programme.
- House Rules
The purpose of CoP is to facilitate learning and sharing of knowledge among network partners. It is important for members to feel that they are in a safe space, surrounded by people with shared interests’ values and common purpose. As such, members are expected to read and adhere to the ground rules below;
This section describes rules for members of the community of practice who register ("Community") and upload material, post comments, or provide other content ("Member Content") on the platform. The CoE expects each community member to observe the following rules ("House Rules")
Come ready to share. We are all here to learn from each other and support entrepreneurs in our societies. The more we know, the more we can do.
Get involved. There will be networking groups on topics, on countries, on challenges, on whatever you want. There are hundreds of new, exciting and knowledgeable people here. Take full advantage :)
Put your best foot forward. We are using Hivebrite as a platform so you can be in touch easily. Write about yourself in your profile so others can find you, and go looking for your perfect new best friend :)
Enjoy yourself. We will be doing some hard work together in a good cause that we all believe in. Doing good work with good people - what could be better!
Help each other out. "You need some research on that? I have some right here.", You need to talk to someone about that? I know just the person..." Lend a helping hand where you can.
Be civil. The CoE encourages open and candid discussions and debates. However, all communications should be respectful. Differences of opinion are okay; personal attacks are not. Comments or content that are violent, threatening, abusive, sexually explicit, obscene, offensive, hateful, derogatory, defamatory, or are racially, ethnically, or otherwise objectionable content will be removed.
Stay on topic. The group encourages positive discussion with the assistance of the admins so as to ensure the discussion remains relevant. Comments, questions and contributions should be relevant to the topic being discussed.
No Advertising. This is not a place for unsolicited personal or commercial solicitation or advertising (e.g., “Win a free laptop”, etc.). Adverting/ selling of items, blogs, articles not related to the projects in the community will not be allowed. Please do not post advertisements as they will be deleted without notice.
Keep it clean. Don’t upload or post inappropriate content. If a user uploads inappropriate, pornographic or offensive, or otherwise objectionable content to the Sites, such user may be banned from the Community. Controversial topics will be followed through by admins so as to ensure the discussion is not watered down with insults or disrespect. In the event the discussion doesn’t go down well, Admins will intervene as required.
- Rules of use
Fair use Observe copyright and trademark law. The posting of copyrighted videos, photos, articles or other material beyond what is protected as fair use is prohibited, and admins may remove such posts from the community walls. Do not pass off someone else’s trademark as your own.
Accuracy is important. Creating multiple accounts in the Community is discouraged. Please update your existing Society account here instead of creating a new account. To merge your duplicate accounts, please email [email protected] with any email addresses you may have used to create your accounts.
Respect privacy. Do not post personal or any other information that you do not want made public and respect the privacy of other members within the community.
It’s your content. The views and opinions expressed on individual profiles as well public discussion posts do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of admins or the Center of Excellence (CoE). Please remember that any comments or content you share within the community are your sole responsibility.
No spam. No one likes seeing the same message posted to one or many articles, galleries or discussions.
Keep it legal. Participating in, suggesting, or encouraging any illegal activity is cause for immediate removal and termination of a member’s use of and registration in the Community.
Relevant imagery. Kindly post only photos directly related to the purpose of the community. Please do not share personal photos. These will be deleted without notice. All non project related posts will be deleted without notice. Repeat offenders will be removed and blocked from the community
Let us know. Our community team does monitor posts, but we may miss something. We encourage members to flag content which they feel violates any of the above Community Rules so we can review and take the appropriate action.
Let us help you. We are here to support you in the community, with events, with dissemination and marketing. Make use of us too!
- Intellectual Property
Except as may be expressly stated in this Agreement, nothing in this Agreement shall be construed as granting any Party any right, title, or interest in any other Party’s Background IP.
Each Party will contribute Background IP it owns or controls as it deems necessary to undertake the Project. All such Background IP will remain the sole property of that Party, but where free and able to do so, the other Parties shall be granted a non-exclusive, royalty-free licence to use the Background IP in performance of the Project.
All Foreground IP shall belong to the party creating that Foreground IP.
Where Foreground IP is created jointly by both parties, it shall be co-owned by them, in undivided shares equivalent to their respective contributions to the creation of that Foreground IP.
Where it is free to do so each party hereby grants to the other party a worldwide, non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sub licensable, royalty-free licence to use the former party’s Foreground IP solely for:
- For the purpose of performance, the Project; and /or
- For the Parties’ own internal academic teaching and non-commercial research purposes
The Collaborator hereby grants to the Funder an irrevocable, royalty-free, non-exclusive, worldwide right and licence to use any Foreground IP including but not limited to information, data, reports, documents, or other materials obtained, created or developed in the course of the Project for non-commercial purposes to publicise and report on the activities of the Funder in connection with the award of the grant and the delivery of the Project.
Use Of Intellectual Property:
- The parties agree that any intellectual property, which is jointly developed through activities covered under this agreement can be used by either party for learning purposes without obtaining consent from the other and without any need to account to the other.
- All other intellectual property used in the implementation of the agreement will remain the property of the party that provided it.
- This property can be used by either party for purposes covered by the agreement but consent will be obtained from the owner of the property before using it for purposes not covered by the agreement.
Except for rights expressly granted under this agreement,
- Nothing in this agreement will function to transfer any of either party's Intellectual Property rights to the other party,
- Each party will retain exclusive interest in and ownership of its Intellectual Property developed before this agreement or developed outside the scope of this agreement.
- Pre-existing Intellectual Property. Except for rights expressly granted under this agreement, each party will retain exclusive interest in and ownership of its Intellectual Property developed before this agreement or developed outside the scope of this agreement.
- Independently Developed Intellectual Property. Any Intellectual Property developed solely by a party under this agreement without the participation of the other party is and will remain the sole and exclusive property of the developing party.
- Jointly Developed Intellectual Property. In the event that the parties jointly develop Intellectual Property, the parties will engage in good faith negotiations to establish their respective rights. In the event the parties cannot reach an agreement with regard to such jointly developed property, each party will have equal ownership and rights in such intellectual property, without further obligation and without a duty to account to the other party.